Diacerein is an anthraquinone derivative used for the symptomatic treatment of knee and hip osteoarthritis.
The mechanism of action of diacerein primarily consists in the inhibition of IL-1β production and activity1.
Obtained from Aloe Vera plants, diacerein is a symptomatic slow-acting drug for osteoarthritis (SYSADOA). It has clinically demonstrated efficacy to significantly relieve pain and improve joint function in patients with knee or hip osteoarthritis.2-8 Patients benefit from being able to carry on with their everyday activities without the pain and functional restrictions often associated with osteoarthritis.
- Pavelka K, Bruyère O, Cooper C, Kanis JA, Leeb BF, et al. Diacerein: Benefits, Risks and Place in the Management of Osteoarthritis. An Opinion-Based Report from the ESCEO. Drugs Aging. 2016;33(2):75-85.
- Pelletier JP, Yaron M, Haraoui B, Cohen P, Nahir MA, et al. Efficacy and safety of diacerein in osteoarthritis of the knee: a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. The Diacerein Study Group. Arthritis Rheum. 2000;43(10):2339-48.
- Nguyen M, Dougados M, Berdah L, Amor B. Diacerhein in the treatment of osteoarthritis of the hip. Arthritis Rheum. 1994;37(4):529-36.
- Lequesne M, Berdah L, Gérentes I. [Efficacy and tolerance of diacerhein in the treatment of gonarthrosis and coxarthrosis]. Rev Prat. 1998;48(Suppl 17):S31-5.
- Pavelka K, Trc T, Karpas K, Vitek P, Sedlackova M, Vlasakova V, et al. The efficacy and safety of diacerein in the treatment of painful osteoarthritis of the knee: A randomized, multicenter, double-blind, placebo-controlled study with primary end points at two months after the end of a three-month treatment period. Arthritis Rheum. 2007;56(12):4055-64.
- Louthrenoo W, Nilganuwong S, Aksaranugraha S, Asavatanabodee P, Saengnipanthkul S, The Thai Study Group. The efficacy, safety and carry-over effect of diacerein in the treatment of painful knee osteoarthritis: a randomised, double-blind, NSAID-controlled study. Osteoarthritis Cartilage. 2007;15(6):605-14.
- Zheng WJ, Tang FL, Li J, Zhang FC, Li ZG, Su Y, et al. Evaluation of efficacy and safety of diacerein in knee osteoarthritis in Chinese patients. Chin Med Sci J. 2006;21(2):75-80.
- Dougados M, Nguyen M, Berdah L, Mazieres B, Vignon E, Lequesne M, et al. Evaluation of the structure-modifying effects of diacerein in hip osteoarthritis: ECHODIAH, a three-year, placebo-controlled trial. Arthritis Rheum. 2001;44(11):2539-47.